A Late Mention of My Blog-o-Versary [Blaugust 17]



Four score and...just kidding, it's only been four years. In my excitement over Blaugust, the costume, and a lot of other life events, I seem to have missed a day that I used to celebrate with great gusto. That day? The anniversary of starting this blog, or my blog-o-versary. Back when my reader-base was smaller, it was a big event to be celebrated by many, with many...but these days, I seem to have forgotten all about that.

Let's take a short field trip. *Fires up the Magic Blog Bus (wouldn't that be cool!?)*




Four years ago, the grammarian I was would feel dwarfed by who I am today. When I started this site, however, I felt that I was at the top of my game, an expert journalisty-bloggery-cool-person who would immediately grab the attention of anyone even vaguely interested in my limited subject matter. Once I put my first post out, I sat back and waited for a waterfall of enamored comments to respond to selectively.

Today, the ringtone for my comments notification e-mails is a crowd cheering, and I hear it once a day if I'm lucky. Overrun by spam-slams, my pageviews bar is erratic at best and sea level at worst. (But I have a cool ringtone, so I've got that going for me.)



Since I started this site, I've had many major changes in focus and style. I went from something described as public diary-writing to something more like fiction-writing. I stuck with that for a few years until I realized that I was doing it more for the audience than myself, so I went through about half a year of meandering past good post topics and solid skills, just trying to find out who I was. Coincidentally, this was also a time when the MMO I wrote about wasn't producing any new content that was within my topic comfort-zone (and, oh, it still hasn't). I started playing more Steam games, convincing myself my reader-base wouldn't like me writing about them, so I had no reason to.

And then Christmas time came. I was talking with a good friend of mine via Twitter DMs late into the early morning, talking about how much fun I was having with Dear Esther and Bastion, and how I wanted to write about them. I kept my initial worries to myself, but came to the decision at about two in the morning in southern Florida that it was really time to make a change. In early January, I talked with that same friend again, and he was the first one to hear about the changes I was going to make to the site.



The changes didn't stay under the hood for very long, though. In late January, I announced my two-week downtime for design and domain changes while I got things set up again (most of which happened in the, uh, last day of downtime). I was nervous to be writing to a different audience, one I didn't even know yet, and under my real first name. The era of Destiny Soultamer, Dead-eye Destiny Devereaux, and (their hybrid) D.S. Dev'x was over, and I was going to be starting something that I had no idea would get much, much bigger.

And now I'm here. This has been much more emotional of a post than I had really expected...wow. I have to thank everyone from my 2011-2014 readerbase that's stuck around with me while I changed my writing into something that both I and my audience likes, changed my subjects into something more manageable for me, and overall got a very different experience. And to my new friends, I must thank you all for welcoming, supporting, and inspiring me as I get adjusted. I felt like I fit in really early on, and it was thanks to all of you that I have been able to grow.

And there are some individuals who deserve thanks outright. You know who you are.

Comments

  1. Play all the games, then share. <3 I have enjoyed watching you blossom, keep going. I am stopping now before the metaphor becomes hopelessly entangled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, I love you to bits. Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!! Four years is a fantastic accomplishment, because it feels like forever in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely felt like forever, looking back at all that's grown and changed. Love ya lots! (I promise I'll get you that music at some point. :P)

      Delete
  3. Keep expanding and keep writing. I love hearing of your adventures. Speaking of adventures, I really DO miss those fan fiction stories. You really were amazing at them. Whenever that "You" that you were writing them for needs feeding, PLEASE do some more, they were such a delight and amazing adventures that I really want to go on some more with her again.
    Happy Blogaversary, may you have many more. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you, Chrissy! I'll see when my muse strikes.

      Delete
  4. Hey sonja its dimas just wanted you to know I just started to read your post and keep up with this your doing great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dimas!! Thanks for stopping by, it really means a lot. Say hi to everyone and send them an "aku sayang kamu" for me!

      Delete
  5. Only four years? It's been an amazing four years and you have improved and changed for the better. You have done amazing for four years and that says a lot. Congratulations to an amazingly talented writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soph, you're awesome. Here's looking towards many more blogoversaries for the both of us.

      Delete
  6. No own to a lifetime of being a blogger, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. grats on 4 years - that takes some fortitude haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've had my ups and downs, but it's been really great so far.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, Wordpress logins have not been working well as of late. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for leaving me a comment!